This lesson* is a good reminder to us all that we make hundreds of choices every day and that every choice—big and small—has consequences. Our challenge is to become better decision makers. We are invited to walk closer to God in our daily life and ask God to be with us in our decision making. ++ ++++
My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself… But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. Therefore I will trust you always though I may seem to be lost… I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone. – Thomas Merton
. This week’s lesson has five parts:
1.1. Your Choices Matter WB5
- Do you know a great decision maker? Who? What makes this person a great decision maker?
- Describe a time when you ignored your conscience and regretted it later. Describe a time when you listened to your conscience and followed it, even though it was difficult.
- Are you good at making decisions? On a scale of 1 to 10, how good do you think you are at making decisions? Wht’s one practical thing you could do to become a better decision maker?
1.2. The Best Way to Live WB11
- Which of the three principles had the most impact on you (the-best-version-of-yourself, virtue, or self-control)?
- How would your relationships improve if you started to really live these three principles?
- If at the end of your life you could be remembered for just one virtue, which would you choose? Why is that virtue important to you?
EXERCISE: In the video, Matthew Kelly mentions that the opposite of self-control is slavery. “If we cannot control our ability to drink, then we are a slave to drink. If we cannot control our temper, then we are a slave to our temper….etc”
What’s Enslaving You? On page 18 of the workbook, we are asked to fill out the diagram, listing the things that keep us from being free like God made us to be. It would be good to also list what you plan to do to overcome those things that keep you from being free.
1.3 God’s Dream for You WB17
- The old adage, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” Have you ever met someone and discovered that person was nothing like what you thought he or she would be like?
- Who helps you to be the best you can be?
- What two things can you do to become the best person you can this week?
1.4 Be a REBEL WB22
- When is the last time you watched something on TV that helped you become a better-version-of-yourself?
- In what ways do you feel called to rebel against today’s culture?
- How is the path God is calling you along different and better than the culture’s way of doing things?
1.5 DECISION POINT WB25On page 25 of your Decision Point Workbook, there are some journaling questions. Make room this weekend for 10 minutes of silence and reflect on them. We closed with Psalm 1 – The Two Ways. Prayerfully re-read the Psalm together as a family (or with friends) and challenge each other to consider how God’s Law leads us to Freedom.
* Our Confirmation sessions are developed by and available at dynamiccatholic.com.